Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Roller Coaster Ride

The last three weeks have probably been the hardest of my life and that is really saying something as we have had plenty of ups and downs, changes and upheavals. As many of you know our son Sean was dealing with many issues related to his multiple deployments especially from his time in Iraq. The demons chased Sean daily and he just couldn't seem to get past them. On Sunday October 25th we got a call that he had had a seizure and that they were taking him to Womack Army Hospital. By the time Robert got there he was already intubated and they had decided to air lift him to UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill for an emergency craniotomy for bleeding in his brain. Sean never regained consciousness and on Wednesday, October 28th we had the breathing tube removed and he quietly went home to be with Heavenly Father. All of siblings but one were there with him as were Robert and I and my sister Kay who had immediately flown to NC when I asked her. He was surrounded by his family who loved him and his unit Chaplain who really liked and several other members of his unit.

We bought him back home to Iowa, where all there are are happy memories of him growing up to be buried at the new VA Cemetery in Van Meter, IA which is about 15 minutes from Des Moines. He was buried with full military honors and I think he would have approved of what we did. We learned many things about Sean during his short time in the hospital. He was a respected solider, he was a good friend, he was a leader of men and had helped many people. I knew that Sean was kind but the depth of his goodness I was totally unaware of. We had people from all over the world call us to tell us stories of how he had helped them. We had big gruff military people crying at his passing. In Sean's short life of 28 years he did more to people than most people do in a lifetime. One of the things we are proudest of is that we heard from friends from all walks of life, all colors and all faiths. None of these things were important to him just that they needed a friend or help and he was there for them.

I have stayed in Des Moines, found us a house and am excited to be back here to be closer to my Joyce and Justin and my grandchildren, although I wish fervently that we had come back for a happier reason. Robert is in Fayetteville, NC tying up loose ends and arranging for the move of our household goods. It will be good to be settled and have that special love that only grandchildren can bring. There are still really hard times, the grief at times seems almost unbearable. However, I have the assurance that I will be with him again one day and that he is finally at peace and happy.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Lynda,
I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I'm glad you got to hear stories of the lives he touched. I'm sure he will be missed by many.