Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thank Heavenly Father for Kind People in High Places

For those of you that have been following the blog you know that I have been in North Carolina for going on three months to assist Sean with getting into a program for his already diagnosed PTSD/Alcohol Abuse. It has been a roller coaster of a ride with him. I have felt frustration, pain and absolute despair, sometimes all in one day. He has always been a remarkably resilient and strong person. His original tour of Iraq (he was part of the original push to Baghdad) has left him depressed and struggling with how a loving, caring God can allow good friends to die right before your eyes. He has been struggling with this for some time now and the continued promises to get him help just weren't materializing and his condition was in my opinion beginning to deteriorate which I felt was a direct result of the upcoming anniversary of his deployment to Iraq. Finally on Friday I had had a enough. Sean was fortunate to serve in Iraq with a man who has since left the Army and gone on to be a Congressman from Pennsylvania. He has kept in contact with Sean. I mean really how many people get personal correspondence from a Congressman or a phone call at Christmas and your birthday from one (especially when you can't even vote for him) I called his office, talked to him, talked with his Veteran/Foreign Affairs liaison and they really got the ball rolling. I also called and talked to Sean's psychologist, his company commander and former 1st Sargent and just about anyone else I thought could help.

Thanks to the Congressman and other people who care for him we now have a date for his entrance into the PTSD/Substance Abuse program that is in Hampton, VA. He will be entering the program on 23 February, which is less than two weeks. I am so excited for him and so thankful for the kind people that Heavenly Father has put in his life that were willing to step up and get him the help that he needs. Last night I saw a faint glimmer of the Sean that was prior to his deployment. It makes my heart break that he has had to go through this and there have been countless hours of prayer, but I am convinced that Heavenly Father has something greater in-store for him and that good will come out of this.

For me, I am so anxious to be back in Waterloo with my honey. I have missed him terribly and he has been wonderfully supportive of me being here. I miss my Ward family at Church and can't wait to see all of them. I have felt the strength of their love and support the entire time I have been gone. One of the first things I want to do when I get back is to take a weekend and spend an entire Saturday at the temple in Nauvoo. I need the peace that it brings to me.

2 comments:

Melissa Lasley said...

I'm so glad you're able to get the help he needs. I am sure that you have been a wonderful advocate to get him all of this stuff. Your a great mom and a great example.

meghan said...

Im happy to hear your son is getting help. I am sure that is a great relief.