Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Time Marches On

I can't believe it has been so long since I have posted to my blog. My New Year's resolution was to blog on a more frequent basis. I am still in North Carolina with Sean, I actually woke up this morning with Sean letting Kiba (his dog) into the room with me at about 5:30 a.m. which is our daily routine and Sean telling me, "Hey Mom, it is snowing outside". Since I have been here we have had snow twice, before this year they hadn't had any snow in five years. While I know that this comes no where close to the winter they have been having in Waterloo, you would be amazed how even a small amount of snow paralyzes a southern city. Just so you know the first snow we had closed Ft. Bragg and Pope Air Force Base, I guess who had to call back if there was some kind of national emergency.

It seems hard to believe that I have been away from Waterloo for going on three months. More amazing is that I have been away from my sweetie going on two months, I miss him so much. I have been very happy to be here for Sean and I think it has been very important that I be here. On MLK day he had a full blown seizure and thankfully I was here with him. I was able to lift him off the couch (all 150 pounds of him) and place him on the floor so he wouldn't hurt himself, call the ambulance, wrangle the dog into his cage and ride in the ambulance with him to Womack Army Medical Center which is on Ft. Bragg. Mother adrenalin rocks, I mean when would I normally be able to lift that much weight with no problem. I am so thankful that Heavenly Father was here with me and was able to keep me calm, collected and strong. It is so awesome how He looks after us. We spent two days in ICU recovering from the seizure. I certainly which they would finally pinpoint what was causing them.

We are going one step at a time. First we need to deal with the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from his first tour in Iraq. This has been particulary hard, there is absolutely nothing in the Mom manual on how to deal with a son who returns from war and cannot get the horrific details and images out of his head. I do think we are making some progress on this front too. I feel sorry for the men and woman who don't have someone to be an advocate for them and to fight for the appropriate treatment. We have an added adavantage that my time in the Army helps me to understand the workings on the Army and military medicine in particular.

On another note, Sean seved with a guy in Iraq who has gone on to be a congressman who still keeps in touch with Sean. I mean, how many people get a call from a congressman for Christmas or their birthday. I happen to have his private cell phone number thanks to Sean and I am going to give him a call and tell him how horrified I am about the way these veterans are being been treated or more importantly having to fight for treatment.

This is about enough for this post. Continued prayers are greatly appreciated for Sean. To my Ward Family in Waterloo, IA I miss you guys so much.


3 comments:

Liz said...

Lynda, Wow you're going through a lot and so is your Sean. Thinking of you!

meghan said...

I am sorry to hear that your son is struggling so much. I hope they are able to help and figure out what is causing the seizures. I laughed out loud when I read your comment about southern cities closing down for hardly any snow. I grew up in fayetteville nc. so not far from where you are now. boy did i get a shock when i moved to iowa!! =)

Stacy said...

Holy Cow! I did not know that you were going through this. As a mother, I can imagine how you are feeling while you are trying to deal with this. It's difficult to see a child going through something when there is really nothing you can do, but pray for them and pray for the strength to get through it.

I remember in RS when you said that your son was coming home soon. I had no idea he was struggling so much with PTSD. War does alot to people. You will BOTH be in my prayers. Good luck and God Bless...

Stacy Palmer
Waterloo Ward