Thursday, October 23, 2008

What is the old saying about the road to hell . . . .

I had promised myself that I would be diligent and blog nearly everyday, that has obviously not happened. My last post is when my youngest grandson JW was born and the lack of blogging is not because my life has been so boring since then. Since JW was born Bob and I have relocated to Waterloo, IA for a job oppportunity for Bob. Bob moved here in February and I followed in late May. Since then we have been busy getting settled and then getting unsettled because of the floods and then settled again. Life is certainly interesting!



I have been working on getting the house into shape. The house was built in 1911




and has had quite a bit of restoration work done on it already, but it still needs more. One of the great features that you can't see is a "three season porch" that is off the back of the house. I really enjoy an older home and love the character that they have.

Our oldest son just finished with a tour of Afghanistan, so if anyone thinks that being an accountant for the Navy means you are safe from deployment, think again. He went back to Italy when he got back from his deployment and bought back his wife and two children. They will be with him at Great Lakes Naval Air Station until Christmas and then they will go back to Naples for Christmas. Unfortunately, then Jeremy will be back here by himself until summer when they will be back.

Our youngest is getting out of the Army after seven years. He has gotten married in the last year and a half and is the father of the adorable JW in my previous post. He did two tours in Iraq and now that he has a family he doesn't want to risk anymore.

Our daughter and her family are still in Des Moines and I will be loading myself up this weekend to go over there and spend two weeks with her. The hardest thing about this move has been being away from her and girls but at least it is only about two hours between here and Des Moines.

I have been starting a lot of knitting lately but just can't seem to find that one thing that would really take off and make me want to stay up till three in the morning to finish. I am currently enjoying some mindless crocheting and am making the bathmat from Liz Radford's "One Skein". I got the cones of yarn on sale so all total the cost of this bathmat is going to be about five dollars. You can hardly beat that and it gives me something to do during all those Law & Order marathons!

Hopefully, this will be the start of me posting on a more regular basis. I am also trying to get all my cousins together and get us all caught up on what has been happening in our lives, it has been too long since we have had contact with each other. I am hoping that blogging will be another way for us to connect.

1 comment:

Liz said...

It's great to get an update on you and your family. Sounds like things are good and busy.

We're having a stashbust tomorrow at Felix and Oscar's on Merle Hay 1-3ish. ... I know I know... you aren't going to be able to tear yourself away from your beautiful grandbaby. BUT, I just wanted to throw that out there because we'd all love to see you!

Take care, friend!