Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Today I am especially grateful for family members who have served in the Armed Forces. I am especially grateful for my three sons who have all done tours of duty in either Afghanistan or Iraq, some more that one. I am humbled by the fact that they do not want people to thank them, pat them on the back or otherwise acknowledge them. They did something that had to be done, loss of life for all of them has been particularly hard. One of them told that one of the biggest reasons he had such a hard time was my fault. When I inquired why it was my fault his reply was, "Because you always taught us to respect other peoples ideals, faiths, opinions. That even if what they believed in or stood for made your blood boil it was their right to believe those things."

One of the hardest things for me as a mother was there was nothing in the "Mom Book" about what to do, how to act, what do you ask when a son comes back from war. It has been without a doubt one of my biggest if not the biggest challenge as a mom. I love each of these boys. One is especially tender hearted, and cries at sad movies, I can't imagine how painful it must have been for him. One is an exemplary solider but the loss of his fellow commarades has come at a terrible price for him one that will forever be in his mind and heart. One is a gentle giant who has a booming voice and a tough exterior but has a gentle and kind heart who loves his family above all else. Yet each of these boys, which I should say are men now, served his country gladly, didn't complain or whimper when duty called and did the job they had to do at a cost that we may never know. I hold each of them in my heart and hope they know how very proud I am of them and the decision they made.

Hopefully everyone can get beyond their differences about the should we, why are we there and today of all days salute these young men and women and be grateful for the sacrifice they have made. This poem is always appropriate on this day:

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow Between the crosses row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields
.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

You should definitely be proud of your boys! :o)

My uncles, grandfathers, great uncles, father-in-law, brother-in-law, and brother were all in the armed forces. One Uncle was in Vietnam as a Pararescueman and saw alot as well as my father-in-law. They don't really talk about it much. I'm sure it would be hard to remember... it would be easier just to keep it in the past and try to forget about it. Another Uncle was a Navy SEAL and I'm sure he's seen his fair share of sorrows... he passed away a little over a year ago from cancer.

They do pay a hefty price for our freedom and we all need to remember that. Not just on Veteran's Day... everyday.

Please thank your sons for their service and willingness to pay for the freedoms we are able to enjoy!